If you have the relevant equipment, you could use DIY projects, which becomes very interesting. However, it becomes challenging and unaffordable to buy the best quality power tools, especially drills, from the nearby stores only for a day or two. Especially when it comes to making larger holes, it would simply be a waste of money. So in this article, you will learn the process of making holes bigger without a drill.
How To Make A Hole Big Without A Drill
A bow drill, cordless drill, push drill, power drill, electric drill, and staple gun are other power tools used to help you in enlarging holes. Alternatively, there are many ways by which you can drill holes without drill bits using tools such as a jab saw, dowel, sandpaper, and a hand file.
For this, first of all, you must make the pilot hole or a small hole, then start filing. You must keep going until you get the required hole size. And then wipe away the dust and surrounding material to continue your project.
The following is a list of techniques to help you make a bigger hole without a drill. Of course, it’ll take some arm strength and perseverance, but you’ll get there in the end.
- You can use a chisel to chip away the material for a bigger hole which depends on the size of the hole.
- Make a perpendicular with the help of the chisel.
- After that, make a smaller hole in the wood with the help of a hammer.
- You must continue doing this until you notice round holes in the wood.
- Then cut an angle of 30 degrees from the middle of the circle.
- As per your comfort, move the chisel around to chip away excess wood.
- Repeat steps 1–5 until you reach the desired depth.
Punch Made Of Hollow Metal
- A metal punch is used to make smaller holes in wood. However, it works best on softwood (especially thin-soft wood), such as plyboard.
- This procedure also works best with a small diameter punch or small holes.
Enlargement Of The Existing Hole
- You would require a reamer for enlarging a pilot hole in the metal.
- First, you are required to drill a hole with the help of a large drill bit available to you.
- After that, you can easily use a reamer to enlarge the hole.
Drilled Hole Vs. Drill Size
- Usually, the drilled equipment is the only justification for the drilled hole to be larger in comparison to the size of the drill bit.
- Generally, the pieces of equipment that strain effortlessly get a larger hole in comparison to the hard types of equipment.
- To avoid such problems, you could also make use of drill bits which can also drill multiple holes.
Use Of Tools To Make A Large Size Hole
- When it comes to DIY, many tools exist for enlarging the holes’ size.
- A reamer will be a better option if you want to drill a hole in metal, while hole saws have their teeth pointed, making them better for making round holes.
- Hence, the tools vary according to the material you are drilling.
You should always avoid using any power tool for drilling holes unless the work is too hard. However, the strategies mentioned above are beneficial when there is a shortage of material. I hope after reading this article; all your doubts are clear regarding how to enlarge a hole without a drill.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Considered To Be The Appropriate Time Of Using A Screwdriver To Screw?
There are many situations when a screwdriver is prioritized, even if it is not the only tool accessible. This is because sometimes it becomes hazardous to utilize the power types of equipment if you’re operating in a wet environment or an area with a lot of water.
How To Use A Drill Guide?
It would be great to have a drill guide and get all the instructions regarding the correct size you want to hole. You can use many DIY tools to enlarge the size of the hole, and your guide will also help you get your work done.
Most importantly, you are required to be very sure where you have to drill the hole. Then, using the drill guide, begin drilling the entire region, letting you drill within the size constraints.
How Can You Use A Jab Saw
Only a jab saw will work if you do not have any tool to help you make a big hole. First, you are required to have gloves to ensure safety. Then put on your safety glasses.
After which, make the tapered hole. After that, you are required to begin by cutting part of the wood using a saw blade. Begin cutting and stop when you get the proper width. At last, make use of sandpaper or a rotary tool such as a bow drill for rubbing the edges to create friction and smooth the sharp edge.