Remember seeing those glowing stars stuck on the ceiling wall when you were a child? Now, you want to recreate the same experience for your child. But, you are wondering how long does glow-in-the-dark paint last?
Well, unfortunately, I can’t give you a number. It depends on various factors. It can last for years or hours! Yeah, it is that variable, surprisingly. It is because many things can affect this time.
If you don’t know what dark paint is, then see, it is a type of paint that, when applied on surfaces, emits a specific type of light visible in the dark. People use this because it is pretty pleasing to the eyes. Furthermore, it is also used in Halloween gifts to create a scary effect, designer costumes for theatre performances and even paintings to give them a life-like effect.
Let’s see how it works!
How Long Does Glow In The Dark Paint Last?
Despite all the variations, how long does glow-in-the-dark paint last? It can last up to 10 years in case you have not yet opened the box. Once applied, it may be up to 8 or more years if used on the wall. Similarly, luminous paint glows only for 4-6 yours.
Nowadays, it has gained quite a lot of popularity. Earlier only a few people knew about it. The underlying reason might be the cost. It is much more expensive as compared to other paints available in the market. But, still, people use this due to the effects it produces.
These emit light after getting charged by UV rays or sunlight. So, they must have enough of it. In ideal conditions, you can say that the glow will last for the same time as long as it has changed. But, we can not quote a fixed number, and it is not as simple as that. We have to consider a lot of factors.
Here, we will see a few cases.
- Glow before opening package – If your box of dark paint has not opened yet, you can expect it to flow for 2-5 years on average.
- Glow after applying – If applied outdoors, it may emit light up to 8-10 years or more.
- Glow after recharging – It may be up to 4-6 hours per recharge.
In the next section, see how different factors like product and situation affect the duration of glow.
How Can You Increase The Time For Your Paint to Glow?
There are a few things that you can adjust to increase the time your dark paint will glow. Let’s see what those: are-
- Quality of paint – As in all things, here also the quality matters the most. You can’t expect color for longer durations if you have bought a cheap one. After all, quality had a price! These won’t even glow after recharging.
- Location – Outdoor paints shine more than indoor ones. So, if you apply your paint outside, it will glow longer than expected.
- Background – Lighter background means more glow, and it is so because light reflects light which appears as a glow.
- Thin coatings- If you apply extremely thick coats of paint, you won’t be able to enjoy the glow at all.
- Surface – Smooth surfaces reflect light while rough ones absorb it. So, try to apply the paint on a smooth surface for the most glow.
You know that the answer to the question: How long does glow-in-dark paint last? Unfortunately, it is variable, and you cannot just pick any random number for that.
On the other hand, you also know what precautions you should take to increase the glow in the dark paint. For example, you can use the dark color outside on a smooth surface. And apply fewer coatings (maybe 3). Plus, apply a thin layer to get a bright glow for longer durations. Using these techniques will help you to make the glow-in-the-dark paint last longer.
Does glow-in-the-dark paint wear off?
Yes, after some time, the glow-in-the-dark paint will wear off, and this is because the light reflected by the sources fades away a few hours after excitation.
But, there are many types like the sodium ones, the glowing ones, and the fluorescent ones. All these will glow for different times.
How long does glow-in-the-dark car paint last?
It lasts up to 20 hours. It’s an innovation in which glow powders are mixed with dark car paints.
These can be an excellent add-on to your homes. So, try these out once. You can even use these to show you the path. Plus, it will be a pleasant surprise for your friends and family too.
Hi, I’m Mo Mulla of Tooltrip.com. My DIY experience led me to understand essential power tools for home projects. Tooltrip.com guides enthusiasts and professionals in choosing right tools for any job. I provide concise top tool reviews for easier, efficient DIY.