In this article we’ll review the DCD995 vs DCD996 and see which one comes out on top!
From woodworkers to craftsperson, DIY enthusiast, and hobbyists, Dewalt is the most common name for the last 80 years when it comes to the drilling machine. If you are looking for a perfect drilling machine to upgrade your toolbox, then you can consider two versions of Dewalt, namely DCD995 and DCD996.
We are here to help you out to find the best among DCD995 v/s DCD996, depending on the work you want to perform.
What is DCD995?
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor--650 unit watts out (UWO) max power
- 3-speed, high performance (0-2,000 RPM) all-metal transmission
- 0-34,000 BPM for fast drilling in masonry materials
- LED light with 20 second trigger release delay
- Battery & Charger Sold Separately
Drilling machines can be quite noisy, but the specialty of DCD995 is its quieter and faster speed itself. Although it is compact yet, it is suitable for almost all kinds of works in a master’s way. It provides three different drilling speeds with which it becomes handier to drill in all the types of materials.
The three different speed ranges from 0 to 450 BPM, 0-1300 BPM and 0 to 2000 BPM, respectively. Apart from this, it has an overloading protector, making it suitable for heavy-duty work as well. Yet the most impressive feature of this drill machine is its lightweight and tight grip providing accurate drilling.
When to use DCD995?
DCD995 is a 20V lithium drill machine known for its handiness and durability. It is suitable for all materials with very high-speed drilling, including concrete, wood, plastic, PVC, metal, and all other materials.
It has a Li-ion battery that provides up to 33% more capacity. With a 20-second drill delay and a front light, it fetches some time for you to set the drill machine even in the dark areas. Made up of a metal frame, it is very durable, long-lasting, and prevents unnecessary vibrations while drilling.
Pros & Cons of DCD995
- With a led and 20 second trigger release time, it provides enough time to set up the drill even in dark places.
- Very compact and light in weight, making it portable.
- Being versatile, one can use it on various materials, including metal, wood, plastic, PVC, etc.
- It provides three different drill speeds varying up to 2000 BPM; thus, it is perfect for personal and professional purposes.
- The complete metal frame makes it last longer and durable.
- Because of its smaller size, it is not suitable for heavy drilling work.
- It doesn’t contain an in-built cleaner.
What is DCD996?
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- The cordless hammer drill features heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
If you are looking for a mighty drill machine cum hammer, then you must consider DCD996 on your list. It again has a li-ion battery, providing 38250 impacts per minute. Apart from this, it is a lightweight drill machine portable and easy to carry along.
It provides an external hammer setting, which means it not just rotates the mouth of the drill machine but also moves it backward and forward, similar to a hammer. To provide an overall safety to its users, it provides a safety latch along with a brake switch. Thus, you can stop drilling as soon as you leave the trigger.
When to use DCD996?
Not all the tools are suitable for DIYs, but DCD996 is an exception. Not just it’s perfect for DIYs, but for professional as well as personal purpose as well. Because of its 360-degree angle, it becomes easy to operate this drill machine, even for lefties.
Apart from this, with a simple rotatory button, you can change the speed setting of this drill machine. It also has a keyless chuck, that means no need to worry about locking and unlocking it again and again.
Pros & Cons of DCD996
- Because of its keyless chuck, no need to worry about keeping track of keys.
- It provides quite a considerable impact speed raging up to 38250 impacts per minute; thus, you will finish work soon.
- It works as a driller cum hammer, with a hammer setting that hits the nail’s mouth back and forth like a hammer.
- Very compact and easy to operate the tool.
- As it provides multiple usages in a single tool, it is relatively expensive.
- Its battery starts to loosen down as you keep on drilling; thus, its battery time starts lowering.
DCD995 vs DCD996 Main Differences
When it comes to the best between DCD995 v/s DCD 996, there is only a little difference in their version number but some significant differences in the features of DCD995 and DCD996, which includes:
Although both these machines are suitable for professional and personal purposes, if you are a DIY enthusiast, then DCd996 is more suitable comparatively.
With speed setting 2 of DCD996, one can drill a woodblock, while in DCD995, speed setting three is needed to drill a wooden log.
In terms of safety as well, DCD996 is much safer than DCD995.
Conclusion & Recommendation
Although there is only the slightest difference between DCD995 v/s DCD 996, and if you want a powerful drilling machine, you can consider either of them.
But, DCD996 being the newer version, is more suitable in terms of features and specifications. Thus, in terms of power and speed, DCD996 is slightly better as compared to DCD995.
But if you have price constraints, then DCD995 is the best option you can go with.